All those who do not belong to any of the above categories and residing in Sri Lanka or entering Sri Lanka on or after April 05.1971 and complete 16 years of age, are subject to registration.
Time period, eligibility and the age to make applications for registration
- Those who enter Sri Lanka on or after April 05.1971 and subject to registration should apply within six months.
- Those who are not subject to registration under Section 2 (2) of the Act, and become subject to registration thereafter should apply within six months from the date they become subject to registration.
- Those who complete 16 years of age after February 27. 1981 and become subject to registration should apply within one year after completing 16 years of age.
Documents required for first-timer identity card
Application in the form පු.ලි.දෙ/වි 1,7,8 with photocopies of following documents certfied by Grama Niladhari and/or Divisional Secretariat or an officer authorized by him. (These documents should be able to prove the name and date of birth of the applicant)
- Birth certificate or the extract of birth certificate
- Probable age certificate with a document to prove the date of birth. ( birth certificate of a child/ school leaving certificate/ certificate of leaving the estate/ copy of the testified horoscope/ marriage certificate/ citizenship certificate/ original of the affidavit )
- citizenship certificate ( link )
Document to prove the date of birth to applicants over 40 years of age who do not possess the birth certificate or probable age certificate
- Results of search registers issued by the Additional District Registrar
- A written evidence to prove the name and date of birth. (Birth certificate of a child/ school leaving certificate/ certificate of leaving the estate/ copy of the testified horoscope/ marriage certificate/ senior citizens identity card)
- Original of formal affidavit to prove the name, date of birth and place of birth (link the form)
Documents to prove employment
- Public sector - original of the service certificate obtained during the last six months.
- Privet sector - original of the service certificate obtained during the last six months.
- Degree certificate and the professional certificate for the positions of doctors, engineers, lawyers, chartered accountants and architects.
- Retirement letter/ Pension card to include retired position.
- Business registration certificate for business persons.
Other document required to issue identity cards
- Samanera certificate or Upasampada certificate for a Buddhist priest
- A certificate issued by the relevant Department to prove the clergyship of other religions.
- Certificate of renouncement of clergyship (de-robing) from the relevant Department
- Marriage certificate to include the surname of the husband.
- Citizenship certificate issued by Department of Immigration and Emigration to prove that the applicant has obtained Sri Lankan citizenship in the case of a person born abroad to a Sri Lankan mother or father. (Link )
- Dual citizenship certificate, if the applicant holds dual citizenship
- 3 colour photographs of 1 3/8” x 7/8” with sky blue background.
- Rs. 3.00 stamp fee.
- Form ……………… filled by those who failed to apply for registration during the prescribed time period (Link) indicating the reasons for delay, certified by Grama Niladhari and the District Secretariat.
- Certification of the application
- Grama Niladhari ( Countersigning by District Secretariat is compulsory )
- For students, the principal of the school.
- For estate residents, the superintendent of the estate.
- For special needs persons, certifying officers authorized by the Commissioner General.
Handing over the completed applications for identity cards
- Ordinary Service :
- To the certifying officer
- One Day Service :
- To the One Day Service Branch of the Department for Registration of Persons, Colombo.